It's Jose Mourinho press conference time, and that means it's injury update time. With Oscar and David Luiz returning to the Chelsea lineup for the midweek win against Steaua Bucharest, the club has a virtually clean bill of health, but the manager has confirmed that he'll be resting Gary Cahill against Crystal Palace in order to avoid aggravating a minor problem:
We don't take risks, therefore Cahill does not play tomorrow. He is not injured but almost injured with pain in quadriceps.
One assumes that this won't be reported as Cahill being 'dropped' as punishment for being part of a defence that conceded six goals in two matches, which is what happens to a certain other centre back whenever he's rested or injured. Mourinho's also confirmed that Ashley Cole is out of the Palace match, which gives us a back line of Cesar Azpicilueta, John Terry, David Luiz and Branislav Ivanovic.
Ryan Bertrand, meanwhile, turns out to have been injured for the past two weeks and will be out for at least one more, which resolves the question of why he hasn't even been able to make the bench recently.
- Mark Schwarzer wins your man of the match award on his Champions League debut
- Chelsea vs. Dartford, FA Youth Cup, Third Round: Open Thread
- Nemanja Matic to Chelsea? This rumour just might add up
- Chelsea scouts are still focusing on Robert Lewandowski, according to reports
- Chelsea maintain interest in Kurt Zouma, may move in January