With the transfer window opening in less than three weeks, it's about the time that we'll begin to see daily transfer gossip again. Dominic Fifield of The Guardian had a bit more Chelsea 'news' yesterday, hinting at a possible target in January:
Chelsea are considering making a formal bid of about £13m for St Etienne's Kurt Zouma next month as they seek to deflect interest from Arsenal, Manchester City and Monaco in the highly regarded teenage centre-half.
This doesn't really say anything that we don't already know, as it was fairly clear that Chelsea had interest in the young center back this past summer. Fifield isn't telling us anything aside from the notion than that we still like the player, and there has never been any reason for that to be in doubt.
Even were the Blues to bid, this one would be a move for the future as opposed to anything likely to help us this year. Zouma is one of the brighter defensive prospects in Europe, but at the moment he'd be unlikely to be ahead of Chelsea's four established options on the depth chart. He's still a very raw talent, one that we'll likely take a closer look at in the future. Still, should St. Etienne decide they're serious about selling Zouma in January, I'm certain that Chelsea would be among the parties interested in a deal.
- Meet the fresh new faces of Chelsea's FA Youth Cup campaign
- Reports claim Nemanja Matic's agent is due in London for Chelsea talks
- Abject Steaua hand Chelsea top spot in Group E
- Chelsea's possible Round of 16 opponents don't look too threatening
- German paper speculates about a Kevin De Bruyne for Julian Draxler swap
- Chelsea targeting Brazilian striker, according to reports