That should just about wrap things up for Chelsea in the Premier League this season. The 2-0 loss combined with a Spurs win put Chelsea 4 points out of the Champions League places with just two league games remaining. While it's certainly possible that one of the clubs above us will drop 4 points, the odds of both clubs doing so are close to zero percent. Luckily for Chelsea, they still control their own fate as far as the Champions League is concerned. A few thoughts:
- Papiss Cisse is ridiculous. There really isn't anything else to say about that.
- Despite not scoring today, Fernando Torres looks like he's really coming back into form. His runs and passing were excellent today.
- We desperately need to upgrade our central midfield. We have loads of adequate players there, but not one that really stands out regularly. Say what you will about the need for "creativity", but Raul Meireles just doesn't do well enough with his first touch to be more than a part time player. A top flight central midfielder has to take priority over "creativity".
- Daniel Sturridge looks lost. It's important to remember that he's still relatively new to playing the wing, but he just doesn't look to be making progress at this point.
- Say what you will about the "drop in quality" of the Premier League due to their performances in Europe this season, but can you really see the 6th place team in any other league having any chance at winning the Champions League? Games like this should do nothing but reinforce the fact that the Premier League is hands down the best in the world.
- Papiss Cisse is ridiculous. Did I say that already?
We'll have the full match report up in a bit, but for now feel free to leave your thoughts on this one in the comments below.