A brief synopsis of the latest injury chatter heading into the curtain-rasier this weekend (provided the riots don't prevent it from happening). More after the jump.
So if we're lucky to get some footy this weekend, we may well be in a bit of a bind with some injuries key members of our squad are carrying. Here's the latest chatter.
The Good News:
- Frankie's back in training. Seems that throat infection was less of a viral situation and more of an 'F-U' to Capello and the England brass who seem determined on holding him out of the Senior Squad. Frankie don't play. Respect.
The Not-So-Good News:
- Our loyal Serbian, one Branislav Ivanovic, is carrying a thigh injury he picked up while on International duty this week. No timetable has been established for his return as such, but reports are suggesting he's very likely to miss the game on Sunday. Gutted.
- As Jack mentioned yesterday, Nando went and got him self a concussion. Granted, a very mild one, but it's probably something that'll keep him out of the Starting XI for Sunday as well.
- David Luiz, he of 'Bob' folklore, has yet to participate in a full training session with the team since reuniting with the squad after the Copa America. Apparently, he's carrying a mild knee knock that's nothing serious but needs attention.
- Alex, who featured for 45 minutes against the 'Gers last weekend, is also on the mend and may not yet be ready for a full 90. Yikes.
- Obi Trice is also carrying a knock that could limit his chances of featuring this weekend. Christ.
So lets do the math, assuming all of these players are out for the weekend, and don't forget to include Sturridge on that list due to his 3-match suspension he picked up at the end of last season, we've got ourselves a bit of a defensive crisis. Who partners JT in the center? Who plays the holding midfield role? Will we see Yossi get a start? Could Tomas Kalas make the bench in his first senior season? Is Joshy ready to make a difference? Hit the comments here, there, anywhere, and let us know.
And pray for a match this weekend. We need this. Stoke City preview forthcoming, by the way.