According to Gianluca Di Marzio, Lazio will have an option to make the loan deal for Gael Kakuta permanent at the end of the season. Most expected a permanent deal up until the moment a loan was announced, leaving many scratching their heads at the fact that the Frenchman was still on the Chelsea books.
The report indicates that it will cost Lazio €3 million if they decide to keep him, a figure slightly larger than we were hearing in the hours leading up to the transfer deadline. It will probably take a moderately impressive loan spell from Kakuta in order to convince Lazio to make that move.
For Chelsea, it's a bit unfortunate that they were forced to include this sort of option. Should Kakuta struggle, they'll likely struggle to find a taker unless he's willing to take a decrease in his current pay. Should he be a hit in Italy, there's every chance the Blues have left some money on the table.
Regardless, it's probably best for all parties involved if Gael plays well enough to make Lazio exercise his option. Even if everything suddenly clicks for the 22-year old, Chelsea now have better options available than Kakuta is ever likely to be. It's time to just take what we can get and move on.
- Chelsea's 30 loanees are more than twice that of any other Premier League club, save for Manchester United
- Who could Jose Mourinho be targeting to lead the line at Chelsea?
- Manchester City vs. Chelsea: Squad news, TV & streaming information, preview
- Courtois will leave Atletico for Chelsea at the end of the season, according to his father
- Wigan boss hails "magnificent" McEachran