The media has been linking Real Madrid midfielder Xabi Alonso to Chelsea quite a bit in recent weeks, with the midfielder's expiring contract and connections to Jose Mourinho seeming to make him a somewhat reasonable summer target. That talk will likely end now, as the player has agreed to a two-year extension to his contract with the La Liga side.
On a one-year deal with no transfer fee, Alonso would have been a decent enough depth signing much like Samuel Eto'o. Seeing as the Spanish international ended up getting two from his current club, I'm fairly pleased we won't be getting involved.
This likely means that Chelsea will now be looking at younger options, either in January or over the summer. Fredy Guarin and Nemanja Matic would still seem the most likely in January, with quite a few other option potentially becoming available if the hole isn't addressed before the summer.
- Chelsea player wage database: updated for January transfer window
- The Daily Hilario: Courtois saves, Illuminati plot against Moyes, another League Cup semifinal
- Mario Balotelli will remain in Milan for now, according to Mario Balotelli
- Chelsea own half of the world's best goalkeepers, according to the IFFHS
- Officially official: Kenneth Omeruo joins Middlesbrough