Deadline day can be exciting, but it also brings about some of the dumbest rumors you'll ever read. The Mirror just ran one of those rumors, and here it is for you all to enjoy:
The concept of Chelsea eventually parting ways with Ryan Bertrand isn't ridiculous, as it's not clear if he's a good enough player to eventually take over for Ashley Cole. Everton would seem like an appropriate destination for him if he does end up leaving, especially as a replacement for Leighton Baines.
All that being said, Chelsea aren't going to be selling (or loaning) their only backup to Ashley Cole on deadline day without replacing him first. The Blues have already loaned out the only other natural left back they have that's close to Premier League ready, which would leave Nathan Ake as the primary backup to Ashley Cole should he be injured or suspended.
For a club that's expecting to contend on all fronts this season, having only one left back (who also happens to be in his thirties) doesn't seem like a fantastic idea. They don't currently need the extra homegrown roster spot, and they certainly don't need the minimal fee that Everton would be capable of paying.
On top of the fact that Chelsea actually have a need Ryan Bertrand, I can't imagine they'd willingly work out a deal with Everton to help send Leighton Baines to a title rival. This Bertrand rumor just isn't any more of a thing that the David Luiz nonsense that we've been hearing all summer. Try harder next time, Mirror.
More from We Ain't Got No History:
- Seven Chelsea players aside from Ba, Atsu, and Moses that could be loaned tomorrow
- T-minus one day to transferapalooza / Super-duperlicious Super Duper Sunday Funday Open Thread, Part II
- Victor Moses in attendance at Anfield ahead of Liverpool loan
- Chelsea FC confirm Christian Atsu transfer, loan to Vitesse
- T-minus one day to transferapalooza / Super-duperlicious Super Duper Sunday Funday Open Thread