Manchester United have confirmed that they've rejected a second Chelsea bid for Wayne Rooney, and many outlets are reporting that the player is planning to hand in a transfer request this week. The reaction of the United fanbase to this rumor was going to be fun for us to watch, but now it doesn't look as if that will be happening.
Wayne Rooney is not in Manchester United's travelling party for a friendly against AIK in Stockholm tomorrow. "Shoulder injury," apparently— Telegraph Sport (@TelegraphSport) August 5, 2013
This is timed well, no? Rooney can't get booed by United fans if he's not taking part in the game. I suppose it's possible that he's really managed to injure himself and isn't physically ready to go, but the timing of this just seems too convenient to ignore.
Where this ends up going is anyone's guess, but it's certainly not going away without some public declaration from the player that he has no interest in leaving the club. It doesn't look like that's coming anytime soon, so the next few weeks ought to be fun.
More from We Ain't Got No History:
- Chelsea pair make Premier League shirt sales list
- Watch: De Bruyne, Schurrle score as Chelsea beat Milan
- Manchester United confirm second Rooney bid rejected
- David Luiz's tight hamstring ensures another week of David Luiz transfer rumors
- Report: Chelsea have second Rooney bid rejected, player ready to hand in transfer request