We didn't have to wait too long to get confirmation on the John Terry deal -- less than an hour after the Mirror reported that the captain had signed a contract extension the club has gone ahead and made it official. Chelsea have confirmed that the defender has signed a one-year deal tying him to the club through the 2014/15 season, and Terry is unsurprisingly happy about it:
I'm delighted to have signed an extension to my contract with Chelsea taking me into my 20th year with the club. I'd like to thank the fans and club for their continued support, and the Manager who was instrumental for me the last season.
Last season it was difficult to imagine the Blues being much interested in bringing Terry back for another year -- he spent 2012/13 mostly out in the cold and injury -- but under Jose Mourinho he's been in utterly imperious form, well worthy of a new contract. Decisions on Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole will be slightly more difficult, I imagine. Hopefully there'll be news soon.
- Mourinho: Chelsea aiming to win the title next season
- Samuel Eto'o will captain Cameroon World Cup squad
- Chelsea trio named to Belgian World Cup squad, Thorgan Hazard on standby
- Fernando Torres, Cesar Azpilicueta, Diego Costa named to preliminary Spanish World Cup squad
- Marco van Ginkel has nothing but praise for the Chelsea boss