More Fernando Torres rumours! Hot diggity dog. This time they're of the Spanish variety:
Torres is always in contact with the team to wish them luck and occasionally sends me messages. He is delighted with everything that’s happening at Atleti. How could he not want to return to the club where he was born?
-Diego Simeone. Source: Mail.
Standard Torres-to-Atletico Madrid caveats apply: They don't have the money to pay Torres' wages, so either he takes a monumental paycut (admittedly more likely with Atleti than anywhere else) or Chelsea have to subsidise him should he go to the Vicente Calderon. And subsidising a move would rather defeat the whole point, which is to get his wages and remaining transfer fee off the club's FFP accounting balance.
In other words, much like the Inter rumours, this is a long shot. But for those who're hoping that the club can ditch Torres after three and a half years of mediocrity, the stories floating around are definitely cause for hope.
- Safe Standing Roadshow coming to Stamford Bridge this Saturday
- The Daily Hilario: Blood moon eclipse of my heart
- We're about to find out whether Financial Fair Play has teeth
- Man of the Match Demba Ba saves the day for the second time in five days
- Chelsea subsidise Champions League semifinal tickets