Now that we're into February, Chelsea will be working with roster constraints again. The club were forced to submit their rosters to both the FA and UEFA, and will have their player selection limited by the rosters they submit.
Graham looked at the UEFA roster several days ago, and today we're going to look at the domestic roster. Chelsea are able to name 25 players to the squad, through eight spots are reserved for players classified as homegrown. Here are the players that were named:
Fernando Torres, Demba Ba, Samuel Eto'o, Eden Hazard, Oscar, Willian, Andre Schurrle, John Obi Mikel, Nemanja Matic, Ramires, Cesar Azpilicueta, Branislav Ivanovic, David Luiz, Petr Cech, Mark Schwarzer, Henrique Hilario
You'll note that the Blues have only named 20 players to the squad, potentially leaving themselves rather short should any injuries arise. Luckily, domestic rules allow for the club to use any player who still qualifies as a U21. That leaves them plenty of options to choose from, with the following six players being notable:
Without question, the squad is a bit small. It leaves plenty of open spots that can be filled in the summer though, and will likely look considerably different next fall.
- Here's Eden Hazard embarrassing Manchester City a whole bunch
- The Daily Hilario: Heroes, zeroes, and Rafalutions
- Ashley Cole an option for Arsenal? Not so fast...
- Fittingly, Eden Hazard wins your Man of the Match award in Chelsea's best game of the season
- John Terry, Gary Cahill, and Cesar Azpilicueta could all be getting extensions