The Metro are reporting that Chelsea will be shocking the planet tonight with a very late £30 million bid for Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa. It would certainly be a spectacular consummation to the the rumours that the Blues are interested in picking up the striker, and, if true, would drastically change the Premier League picture. The only problem is that it's really hard to see it being true.
So if you read the story and got your hopes up -- sorry, but I'm going to deflate them. There's almost no chance of this happening, and to me it smells like a pre-written piece that got scheduled for after Chelsea's press conference for no reason. Jose Mourinho has said that the club will not be bringing in any more first-team players this window, and hinted at a big splash come summertime. Both would contradict the idea of the Blues going after Diego Costa now.
I'm never going to rule a rumour 100 percent in or 100 percent out, but this one is as close to the latter as possible.
- Kurt Zouma to Chelsea: the financial impact of the transfer
- Wallace won't be recalled in January, will remain at Inter Milan
- Manchester City lucky to be top of the table, says Mourinho
- Torres won't play against Manchester City, Salah possible
- Mourinho hints at grand summer plans to solve misfiring forward line