Derby County have confirmed the capture of in-demand Chelsea youngster Patrick Bamford for the remainder of the season. Here's the announcement from the club, following Steve McClaren's press conference this morning.
This will be an interesting loan for certain, as Derby have generally played with a lone striker, and a replacement wasn't a pressing need. There should still be quite a few minutes available for the ex-Nottingham Forest player though, and how his role evolves will be fun to watch.
This is certainly an aggressive move, and it will tell us an awful lot about where Bamford is in his development. It could also do wonders for his future with the English national team, as a string of impressive showings will likely see him feature for the U21 side more frequently in the future.
Bamford will still be with MK Dons this weekend, and will likely start for the side in their FA Cup tie (he's already cup tied in the competition). Following the game, he'll be joining Derby until their season concludes. Best of luck at Derby, Patrick, and keep scoring for fun.
- Vitesse / Cobham East Roundup: 3 January 2014
- Karanka keen to work the Mourinho connection to land Chalobah, others on loan
- WAGNH Community 2013/14 Chelsea Player Ratings: Midseason report
- Napoli reportedly rejected Chelsea's £50 million pound offer for Gonzalo Higuain
- From Stamford Bridge to the South Coast, Oscar, Willian, and Hazard keep the blue flag flying highest