Just in case you needed more confirmation that the Nemanja Matic is actually happening (and since it's not official yet, more confirmation is always good news), A Bola have gone and talked to the Serbian midfielder about whether or not he'll be leaving Benfica. The result was an unequivocal yes:
Are you in a position where you can guarantee that the game with FC Porto was your last game for Benfica?
Yes, it was my last game. I want to thank all the people in and around the club, and all the fans. Benfica will be forever in my heart. I’ve tried my best in every training session, in every game, and now is the right time to leave. I want to improve, to go back to the best league in the world, and back to Chelsea, a club which I like.
That looks watertight. We're not going to have to wait until the end of the month to get him on if the match against Porto was his last game, and he mentions Chelsea specifically in his reply. The current rumour is that Matic will end up costing €26 million plus a player or two in exchange, which is obviously a steep price considering we sold him for €5 million three years ago... but mistakes made under the former regime shouldn't stop Michael Emenalo doing his job, and ignoring the fact that Matic used to play for us, €26 million is actually a bargain.
I'm looking forward to the official news -- right now it seems like it's only a matter of time.
- Chelsea are engaged in some needed squad rebalancing
- The Daily Hilario: The sensation of anticipation; the anticipation of sensation
- Chelsea's top prospects: Andreas Christensen, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Bertrand Traore, and Patrick van Aanholt
- Matic confirms Chelsea interest, ready to 'talk' once clubs agree
- Chelsea's Billy Clifford currently trialing in Belgium