Jose Mourinho has just given an update on the injuries suffered by Branislav Ivanovic and Frank Lampard, and it appears we'll be without the services of either for the next several weeks. While we expected to be without Lampard for a bit, the initial reports on Ivanovic were much less serious.
According to The Daily Mail, Mourinho has confirmed that neither player will be available until the final week of January. That should make the sale of Michael Essien or the loan of both Tomas Kalas and Kenneth Omeruo very early in the window less likely. It also makes a potential sale of Ryan Bertrand less likely, though I'd have been surprised to see that happen before the summer window anyway.
The return of David Luiz from suspension and the potential acquisition of Fredy Guarin should help leave Chelsea with plenty of cover in the midfield and at centerback, but the injury to Ivanovic now means that we're a bit thin at right back. Hopefully none of Cesar Azpilicueta's injury issues from today are serious, as we could really use him with Bran out.
- Southampton 0 - Chelsea 3: Initial reaction and community rating form
- Tomas Kalas is likely to move in January, according to his agent
- Officially official: Chelsea finally complete Bertrand Traore signing
- Mourinho claims Chelsea will not buy a striker in January
- Chelsea reports nearly £50m in losses, still complies with FFP