Job done. Swindon never stood a chance, in all honesty, and they were only saved by the usual amount of poor finishing from Chelsea.
There was a period in the first half when the center axis of Fernando Torres, Juan Mata, and Ramires absolutely dominated proceedings and created two goals just between themselves. The rest of the match was not nearly as impressive, but for a mild Tuesday night somewhere in the southwest of England, it was good.
As Swindon tried to push forward - mostly ineffectively - Chelsea had plenty of chances to add to the scoreline. Willian missed a glorious chance or two, while Bertrand managed to make a fool of himself with a few terrible crosses and cross-attempts. Fernando Torres was a menace (until it came time to shoot), except when others decided to not pass to him.
A few additional snap judgments:
- Mark Schwarzer looked about as solid as you'd like your backup goalkeeper to be. One shanked clearance, but confident and strong with his hands.
- Bad day for Chelsea midfielders on the injury front: Marco van Ginkel was forced off in the 10th minute with a nasty looking knee injury. His replacement, Ramires, was forced off at the half with an undetermined knock. Meanwhile, in Watford, Josh McEachran was forced off with a knock as well.
- The aforementioned injuries single-handedly prevented Lewis Baker's debut. Unlucky.
- The "second line" of attacking midfielders wasn't overly impressive, but still collected an assist for Mata who probably should've had two. Willian missed hilariously when it was easier to score and would've had another if Bertrand had found him open on the back post. Probably should've passed to Torres though on 83 minutes. De Bruyne was the least impressive of the three, but did provide a telling pass to Torres.
- Speaking (some more) of Torres. He always looks good against the minnows, does he not? Well done, Fernando.
- The squad's finishing, overall, is still mostly poor however. Improvement needed.
- FYI: If the only reaction you can muster up is that we're the suckiest bunch of sucks to ever suck, then please, just don't even bother.