According to L'Equipe, Paris Saint-Germain are making a deadline day play for Juan Mata -- and the French paper say that PSG are 'in negotiations' with Chelsea for the playmaker's signature. We've been expecting a lot of chatter around Mata's future as the window closes, considering he's been linked to a move away all summer, but I'd be surprised if this one comes to fruition -- Mata's simply not a good fit on that side when one considers the attacking talent they already have on display*.
*Then again, PSG have a lot more money than sense.
It's also difficult to envision the Blues letting Mata leave, and pretty much everyone (player, manager, chairman) have claimed that he's not for sale and not going anywhere, so if this is more than PSG trying to make yet another splash before the window closes, I'd be surprised. Not even they have the financial muscle to make Chelsea budge if Chelsea don't want to budge, so the question is whether or not the club wants to keep hold of their best player.
My suspicion is that they do. We'll find out for sure in about eight hours.
More from We Ain't Got No History:
- Crystal Palace are interested in a Nathaniel Chalobah loan, according to reports
- Arsenal, Roma in talks about Demba Ba, according to reports
- Chelsea linked to late move for Real Madrid midfielder Sami Khedira
- Ulises Davila to join Cordoba CF on season long loan
- Chelsea confirm Victor Moses will go on loan to Liverpool