The first half of play was generally all Chelsea, but it went into the break with the Blues down 1-0. Chelsea had the bulk of the possession as well as several fantastic chances to score, but couldn't manage to put one away and some poor positioning from John Terry gift wrapped an Everton opener.
The second half got under way in much the same manner that the first half played out...Chelsea were in control but failing to find the back of the net. Jose Mourinho responded with a double substitution that changed Chelsea to more of a 4-3-3 type of shape, as the Blues were looking to grab a result in the game's final 35 minutes. With no goal in the first 12 minutes since the change, the Blues made their final substitution by bringing on Fernando Torres.
Unfortunately for the Blues, the changes didn't result in a goal. Mourinho will likely say the better side lost today, and frankly, I'd be inclined to agree. Here are a few thoughts in the immediate aftermath of this one:
- I was very surprised that Willian wasn't at least on the bench for a potential debut. I'd imagine we see him mid-week.
- I like these kits quite a bit. I also like the away kit. Adidas did very well for us this season.
- Does anyone else mistake Samuel Eto'o running for John Obi Mikel? It's a very similar style.
- Both Gary Cahill and John Terry have had a hard time holding a line this season, and it's leading to some legitimate problems.
- It bothers me how bad Graeme Le Saux is in the booth. I wish he and Mr. Ray Wilkins were better at what they do after having been at Chelsea for as long as they both were.
- With as much competition as Chelsea have in the attacking band, a stinker like Andre Schurrle just had could lead to a long time before he gets another start.
- Romelu Lukaku isn't going to have to do very much to prove that he's the best striker at Everton.
- I hate dropping points when a few very average finishes would have seen Chelsea walk away with all three.
- I know we're all pretty irritated after this result, but this thread will not be turning into another post-Super Cup type comments section. If you're having a meltdown, I'd take a walk or something rather than making the comments unreadable, because none of us want to deal with that sort of thing again.