Well, it's not even July and we are almost up to double digits with the silly season shenanigans. Nothing has really changed on the Cavani front and so far Schürrle is the only official signing we have made, while Marco Van Ginkel is simply a matter of time at this point. One Marco enters, another Marko exits. The Ghost of Marin has joined Sevilla on a season long loan. Hopefully, he will regain his form and either increase his value so we can sell him or actually show us he could be good enough to contribute to the team.
Some reports are now suggesting that Robert Lewandowski is our Plan B should this Cavani-gate continue to frustrate us. Kurt Zouma and Geoffrey Kondogbia are two other targets that Chelsea are reportedly actively seeking. Unfortunately, Thiago Alcantara to Manchester United seems inevitable. Also, regarding Kondogbia, The Busby Babe is reporting that Man Utd are also "in talks" with Sevilla over Kondogbia. United also had a bid for Leighton Baines rejected earlier. Apparently the bid was for around 10-12 million pounds, Everton want more along the lines of 15 million+. Here are some other news and notes:
- Oscar Cardozo has reportedly "fallen out" with Jorge Jesus and is now on the market. Several Premier League clubs are said to be interested in the 30 year old striker who scored 31 goals for Benfica in all competitions last season. Rumors are Manchester City are willing to stump up 20 million Euro for Cardozo. Who knows how true those are, it could be completely made up because everyone knows Man City are looking for a striker and they have a lot of money, so now a striker is available, why not link him to Man City even if there is no evidence of such interest?
- Sunderland have signed Arsenal's backup keeper Vito Mannone as well as young Argentine defender Gino Peluzzi from Velez Sarsfield.
- Djibril Cisse and QPR have parted ways by mutual consent. Cisse will now be a free agent starting July 1st. Let's not all run for his signature all at once, now.
- In other QPR news, Danny Simpson has left Newcastle and joined QPR on a 3-year deal. Harry Redknapp assured him that the club would rejoin the Premier League in their first attempt.
- With Spurs looking to snatch up Paulinho, it seems as though they are willing to part with Tom Huddlestone. Sunderland are said to be in talks with the midfielder. BBC is actually saying that Paulinho will sign next week.
- Arshavin is going back home to Zenit St. Petersburg after falling off the face of the earth the past couple of years. He's signed a 2 year contract with the club where it all began.
- Lyon have revealed that they have rejected bids for captain Maxime Gonalons, one of which was over 15 million Euros. Lyon published a statement after word got out that Napoli had agreed personal terms with Gonalons by saying the captain was "part of a long-term strategy to base the team on players coming through the club's youth academy."
- One Lyon player who could be playing elsewhere come next season is Yoann Gourcouff. He has been linked with Arsenal and Monaco and didn't really get a vote of confidence from Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas, "Yoann is among those players who have not completely succeeded at Lyon. We haven't received offers for him, but we have talked to clubs about the possibility of him leaving."
- The Leroy Fer Train is gaining traction once again. This time it is Newcastle and Norwich who are expressing interest.
- Scott Sinclair may be heading out on loan this season, possible destination rumored to be West Brom.
- Stoke City have signed defender Erik Pieters from PSV for a reported 3.6 million Euros.
- Quite some time ago it seemed to be official that Henrik Mkthitaryan would be joining Liverpool. Well, that didn't happen and now we saw reports a few days ago that Borussia Dortmund were trying to sign the midfielder, and now there are reports that Tottenham are trying to hijack the deal and lure the Armenian to White Hart Lane. It's gonna be interesting to see where he actually ends up.
- Reports are saying that David Villa has agreed personal terms with Tottenham. Barca are trying to wrestle 12 million pounds from the Spurs for Villa, while the Spurs only want to pay 8 million. So this one is not official yet, but looks like it could happen soon.
I'm heading off on vacation tomorrow so I will not be on here for quite some time. I'll be back July 9th. I won't have internet access during my vacation so I hope you all enjoy your weekend and for my 'Murican brethren, have a happy and most importantly, a safe 4th of July.
The Busby Babe