I wanted to try and create a realistic squad for next season but for the fun of it had to look at the great rumors you get at this time of the year.
- Hilario and Turnbull (end of contract)
- Courtois from loan. When Mourinho arrived for the first time one of his first biggest decisions was to choose a young Cech as first choice keeper over Cudicini. This came as a surprise because at the time Cudicini was one of the top keepers in the league (maybe not at the level Cech is now). With Mourinho arriving for a second time and Courtois and Cech at similar ages to that time Mourinho could make another bold decision and not Mourinho will know Courtois well from the last two seasons.
- I would also promote Blackman for third choice keeper
I would stick with Cole and Bertrand. Bertrand for me has shown flashes of ability and another season under the wing of Cole would extremely beneficial.
- Van Aanholt: Over the last season Di Matteo and Benitez have occasionally chosen Bertrand to play on the wing with little effect. Van Aanholt from his season at Vitesse has shown himself to a more attacking full back than Bertrand he could provide a more defensive alternative for the left side (e.g. like Ramires when he plays on the Right side)
- Shaw: this guy is going to be the future England left back we must snap him up sooner than later. 10m
- Shaw: I'd send him back Southampton for a couple of seasons
- Ferreira end of contract
- Wallace: send him out on loan to Vitesse to get some european experience
- I would promote Todd Kane to back up on the back of his new contract could be a similar introduction like Bertrand
With Luiz moving to CDM I would try and sign another centre back so Luiz can focus on his new position. I also expect Mourinho will have a greater reliance on the old guard so I expect Terry to be a first choice.
- Jores Okore: Earlier in the season when Chelsea were trying to defend their Champions League title Chelsea thrashed FC Nordsjaelland twice however out these games Jores Okore was a shining light for the Danish team (for me it was a similar feeling to when De Bruyne played against Chelsea with Genk). Shortly after we were reported to be signing him like anyone who plays well against Chelsea but after the January window this rumour went cold. WAGNH already stated he was a Chelsea fan so should be happy to join. While we have been linked we Mangala recently Porto will likely drive a high price (I've seen a report that states they want £30m for him) Okore would be a much cheaper choice costing a potential £5- for a 4th choice CB. (I also like Sakho from PSG and with him falling behind SIlva and Alex might leaving but would cost more)
- £90m - £5m = £85m
- Essien: While he has been a great player for Chelsea especially under Mourinho he is now a shadow of his former self and I'd prefer to see players like Romeu given a go than see him return as a squad player. I think we could get 10m for him
- McEachran: I'd send him out on loan again hopefully to a premier league side. If I'm honest I have no idea what his future holds he could still be a Chelsea player but his lack of physique attacking ability for me don't suggest he can be a great CDM or CAM. For me he's an out and out traditional CM a role especially this season just gone wouldn't fit into this team.
- Chalobah and Ake: If we could get both these guys on loan to Watford under Zola imagine the benefits whne they are ready for Chelsea they would have a great understanding of each other in their midfield roles.
- Fellani: I'm a big fan of the big Belgian and would love him to join Chelsea as we slowly become the Belgian National Team. For me we never replaced Ballack when he left, a big midfielder who would scare opponents, no we replaced with Ramires who is the most nonthreatening footballer out their (except for Giovinco). I hope Moyes doesn't want him because I think he would choose Man Utd over Chelsea also at 25M (if rumors of his transfer release clause are true) he would be great value for money.
- Van Ginkel: Admittedly don't know a great detail about this guy but love that he has been reported to be the new Gerrard ( according to Goal). This transfer makes a whole load of sense especially with Chelsea's relationship with Vitesse and the players own relationships with players such as Van Aanholt, Delac and Kakuta whom I would imagine would have nice things to say about chelsea (except Kakuta). £8 as a reported cost would be a great bit of business for such a highly regarded young player in Holland
CENTRAL/WIDE ATTACKING MIDFIELDERS
- Marin: I haven't given hope on the tiny German and would send him out on loan to a good European side or a premier league team. I believe his a very technically gifted player who looked a good signing based on last pre-season however due to a lengthy injury in pre season didn't manage to stamp any foothold in the side whole Hazard, Oscar and Moses showed what they could do. With the quality of players Chelsea had in that position and Marin severely lacking match fitness its hard to judge him based on this horrid season for him, especially seeing that the games he did start the whole team was awful (e.g. QPR home) its hard to solely blame him and Benitez's love of Benayoun who was leaving at the end of the season instead of making a sensible decision of selecting a player who had a remaining contract longer than 4 months (or whatever it was at the time).
- De Bruyne: I believe that he is ready for Chelsea but would like Schurrle to join Chelsea. He should go to Leverkusen instead of Dortmund. I'm predicting a mass exodus from Dortmund happening similar to Porto in 2004 after their Champions League win. I'm expecting Dortmund to be a bit of mess next season with lots of speculation on many players and the future of manager Klopp (f he stays past the summer). De bruyne would fit straight in Leverkusen I expect in a similar role to Schurlle.
- Benayoun and Malouda end of contracts
- Kakuta: This is the example of over expectation on a youngster and he now doesn't love Chelsea so lets get £5m for him
- Piazon: This guy for me is the future of Chelsea. Which is weird seeing that he's 19 and players such as Oscar are 21 and similar ages. I'd send him out to a team in Spain.
- Thorgan Hazard: Eden's younger brother has had a great season on loan and just got his first Belgium cap with the World Cup soon approaching. Reports suggest he may be going on loan to Anderlecht which would be great as he would get some Champions League experience and be at a prime club to attract the attention of the national team if he continues to develop as he has. I would love to see the Hazard brothers playing together for Chelsea in the future.
- Davila: I'd sell this guy unless he is part of Chelsea master plan that no one knows about. I expect he was the result of some very quick thinking by the scouting team at Chelsea after seeing the unexpected success of Hernandez at Man Utd.
- Schurlle: This is basically a done deal so must be included. The reported fee is £20m
- Torres: I think 22 goals for a striker is a highly respectable amount for a striker, but not a £50m striker of who's goals only 7 came in the league. This is not the goal scoring tally of a striker who's going to help a team to mount a serious title challenge. The rumor of Cavani for £25.7M + Torres as a £25.7m makeweight(the other half of Cavani's reported 60million euros release clause) is my favorite rumor ever as all aspects are positive. I don't think many clubs would value Torres at that price but Napoli have Benitez who loves Torres. £25.7m (or whatever exact figure it would be) is not an extortionate amount that would burden a player, and thirdly we get Cavani who is one of a rare breed, world class strikers.
- Lukaku: He must be a Chelsea first team player next season he scored 17 league goals for West Brom and a hat trick against Man Utd in the game that was Sir Alex's last game ever! That's AMAZING!!!! and he's only 20.
- Cavani: See above under Torres. If you exclude Messi and Ronaldo who are freaks of nature. There are only three TRUE (for me) world class strikers; Van Persie, Cavani and Levandowski (I think he's on the cusp of this at the moment if he does join Bayern as many expect and has season like this season he will be). For me to warranty being a world class striker a player must be prolific in their respected league in multiple seasons, make a significant scoring impact to a clubs Champions league ventures and must be established at international level (however for me this isn't as important especially seeing that players like Levandowski play for Poland and at the end of his career will not be judged greatly by his international exploits). Falcao for me falls out of this category as he's never done it in the Champions League and won't do for the foreseeable future at Monaco. Van Persie showed this season that a truly world class striker can be the difference between winning a title or not especially his early season form.
- Bony: Chelsea have been linked with him in the past and this guy has been on fire in Holland this season. Like Van der Winkel I think the Chelsea link could bode well for us if we decided to sign him as he would be a cheap singing who at most could cost £15m. I know many people have reservations about signings from Holland. But for me there are two examples you have Kezman who was prolific at PSV but a flop at Chelsea (I don't it mattered that he flopped he only cost £5m) and then you have signings such as Suarez and Van Nisterooy both players were revelations for their clubs and Suarez especially shows there is quality in Holland if you scout right. I believe Bony is a much more complete player than Kezman and has the attributes to succeed he would also provide a low risk risk transfer due to his low fee of £15m compared to Torres £50m
On a side note I've read alot of people want Ba out. My response to this is the example of Anelka came into the club at 15m was dreadful for that half a season only scoring one goal and missing the penalty that lost us the Champions League in Moscow. Flash forward 12 months he's the top scorer in the league. Lets give him another season see how he does if he does a Torres out if he does an Anelka great!
Cech - Courtois - Blackman (either Cech or Courtois could be 1st choice but its important we have a strong second choice so we don't panic like when you saw Turnbull's name on the starting 11)
Cole - Bertand- Van Aanholt (joint role with player winger)
Terry - Cahill - Ivanovic - Okore
Azpilicueta - Kane
Lampard - Fellani - Mikel - Romeu - Luiz
Ramires - Van Gikel - Oscar (I expect these players could fill both roles in a 4-2-3-1 of the lying 2 or the front 3)
Mata - Hazard - Schurlle - Moses
Carvani - Ba - Lukaku - Bony
If last season taught us anything squad depth is essential to any side pushing for the Premier League.
Azpilicueta Cahill Terry Cole
Hazard Mata Oscar
Thanks for reading!