"I am very grateful for my time at Chelsea, but like every professional footballer I want to play a lot. To give my career a new impulse and to grow, I want to leave."
Kakuta has been with the club since 2007, and has made 16 total appearances for the first team. He's also had a pair of disastrous Premier League loans, as well as spells in Ligue1 and the Eredivisie that have been a bit of a rollercoaster.
This season has seen Kakuta making regular appearances for Vitesse Arnhem, but the majority of those appearances have been coming from the bench. I'm a bit surprised he'd make these comments in January considering the way Vitesse have been playing, but at the same time it's not difficult to understand his desire to find a place where he'll play regularly.
The player is now 22 years old, and with his contract set to expire in just 18 months time, a move in the near future is almost certainly going to happen. It wouldn't shock me if no January move materialized, but hopefully the club do their best to make it happen.
- Italian sources claim Fredy Guarin to Chelsea deal is done
- Chelsea have bid for Inter midfielder Fredy Guarin, hoping to complete signing soon
- Potential Chelsea Transfer Target: Fredy Guarin
- Sunderland vs. Chelsea, League Cup: Squad News, TV & Streaming Information, Preview
- Vitesse / Cobham East Roundup: 16 December 2013