I am just thinking about what the 25 man roster will look like as the team is currently structured.
Terry, Lampard, Sturridge, Cole, Turnbull, Cahill, Bertrand, Hutchinson
Cech, Mata, Luiz, Ivanovic, Hazard, Torres, Marin, Meireles, Essien, Malouda, Ferreira, Ramires, Mikel, Benayoun, Hilario
Lukaku, McEachern, De Bruyne, Romeu, Kakuta, van Aanholt
I am not sure if all of the players I have listed as u21s still fall into the category. If they do, we still have room for a couple of signings on the 25 man roster - even with Malouda, Benayoun, etc. who might be moved?
Do I have all of the classifications correct and what are your thoughts on how well this team could do? I still find this roster too dependent on the performance of Torres, especially if Lukaku goes on loan. My preference is to keep Lukaku with the squad given the number of competitions we are in and as a hedge to Torres' form.
Playing fanatsy manager, I would do the following:
- buy Hulk for 35mm or less - he's in his prime and brings both playmaking and scoring to the table. He is the player I hoped Sturridge might be. He would diversify our attack from Torres and the idea of Mata Hazard and Hulk playing behind either of the 3 strikers sounds like a very dynamic and potent attack
- buy Witsel for 25mm or less - I am assuming Modric to Real Madrid - either one would give us a deep lying play maker to unlock defense. In a number of dimensions, I prefer Witsel because he is younger, less expensive, and would slot in nicely with our Belgian contingent. On the other hand, it's a definite double whammy to take Modric from spuds and plug him into our squad.
- buy Maicon for 7mm or less - the excellent writers at wagnh detailed why this works
- Victor Moses to me would be a cherry on top and the reasons are obvious (young, home grown, pacey), but a luxury rather than a necessity
- thank the following players for their service and sell them for whatever they can command: Malouda, Ferreira, Essien, Benayoun. To the extent that they do not merit offers and can fit into the roster, of course we keep them.
We are going to need a lot of squad rotation next year given the number of competition we are in, so there should be plenty of playing time to be had for all (it will be very important to not wear out our slighter players like Mata and Hazard especially).