As fans, we have accepted the club needs a right back and a centre forward. Azpilcueta and Moses fit that bill, and I would be pleased with these two purchases, which will probably set Roman back about half a coat pocket (20 million). But there is still an alarmingly large squad we must deal with, and there are still small signings we could make that could complete this squad.
- With the size of the first team, it seems inevitable that players all be moving on this transfer window. Benayoun, Malouda, Ferreria, Kakuta seem the most likely, which would free up around fifteen million, depending on how clubs see Kakuta (add five million if he is highly regarded by the purchasing club).
- The less clear transfer rumors seem to revolve around Merelies, Essien and Sturridge. All three providing no long term injuries are set for bit part roles, but will get to sample most benches in the country for long periods too. Sturridge should stay due to being now our number two striker, but Essien and Merelies to me are only filling spots that could be taken by younger, hungrier players.
One Fifa and FM tactic (don't judge me yet) that I always use is to take the best players off the relegated clubs, whilst selling players that are not the best in my position. If RDM were to do this, it would create hunger for the first team spots, and release older players to enjoy their twilight actually on the pitch.
- By selling Essien and Merelies (two hot/cold players), and replacing them with Steven N'zonzi, we reduce our sqaud size but add a very good player.
- If we were to sell Malouda/Benayoun, we could replace them with someone like Matt Jarvis or Lee Chung Young. Both young back up wingers who have potential
- For Paulo, we could replace with Sam Hutchinson as Third Choice right back, fifth choice centre back. Azpilcueta and Ivanovic should rotate enough for only a few cameos for Sam, but it takes another player off the pay roll, and adds a young, hungry lad who won't mind rotating in and out of games.
If this were to happen, and if my Maths adds up, we will have added Moses, Azpilcueta, N'zonzi and Jarvis/CY Lee for around 25-30 million. And we will have gotten rid of Benayoun, Malouda, Kakuta, Ferreira, Merelies, Essien for around that same amount, possibly more. It would have brought our squad size down by two, and would improve the team overall.
- Please excuse my poor essay structure, I have been off school for five weeks sick, and am perhaps getting a little rusty with my writing.