We heard rumors of Frank Lampard to MLS in January, and news outlets everywhere are at it again today. The Daily Fail listed a few reasons why Chelsea would be willing to let Frank go to LA on a free, and I'm sure people will be talking about it as fact now. So let's take a closer look at this oneand see what we think. Here are a few reasons it might make sense:
- Frank is clearly seeing his playing time here decline. If Chelsea add to the midfield, he's certain to lose even more minutes.
- The Galaxy could certainly pay him as well as Chelsea.
- Southern California is a pretty sweet place to live.
Here's a few reasons why the rumor makes no sense:
- LA has 3 designated players already. They can only have 3 by league rules. Assuming they aren't moving Landon Donovan or David Beckham, Robbie Keane would have to go. He might be a hard one to move unless he decides to take a serious paycut.
- Chelsea would have absolutely no problem getting a fee for Frank somewhere else if they really want to sell him.
- Frank does not hurt our chances at complying with FFP in any way at the moment. His contract was signed prior to May 2010, so he fits nicely into a loophole which we're certain to use to comply.
Frank Lampard to LA next summer when his contract expires makes an awful lot of sense, but honestly I can't see Chelsea releasing him on a free transfer this summer and creating yet another hole that needs to be filled. Stranger things have happened, but I'm not going to get too worked up about this one myself.