Yeah, so I wrote this and was seconds away from hitting publish:
Chelsea and Shakhtar drew 2-2 in another very entertaining affair. Chelsea twice had the lead, but Shakhtar tore the left flank to shreds and absolutely deserved both goals that they scored.
I'm sure a point wasn't the type of result that anyone turned on the TV hoping to get, but in the end it's far from the worst thing that could have happened. Despite Juventus winning tonight, a win in Turin leaves Chelsea in control of their own fate when Matchday 6 comes around. A draw with the Italian Champions means Chelsea would have to watch the scoreboard a bit, but it still leaves them a reasonable chance of advancing to the knockout round.
Then Victor Moses happened. Victor. [Fun]ing. Moses. Holy Christmas, that was fun. Shakhtar scored two away goals today, so they will own the first tiebreaker with Chelsea in any two-way tie. That's OK in my book though, as a single point in Italy leave Chelsea needing just a win at home against Nordsjaelland to advance to the knockout round.
Here's some thoughts in the immediate aftermath of this one:
- Neutral fans must absolutely be loving Chelsea this season. Wins, losses, draws...everything seems to be hugely entertaining.
- Remember when Chelsea fans kept saying that WIllian was over-rated? Yeah...
- It would be nice if just once we had a commentator who didn't need to chime in with an opinion on David Luiz. They usually don't make very good points when they talk about the center back, and I've yet to ever hear Tony Gale say something intelligent about anything.
- Juventus didn't really help Chelsea's cause today, winning comfortably against Nordsjaelland.
- I just about pooped when John Obi Mikel put the ball in the back of the net. It was definitely offside, but it was nice to see anyway. Then he just went wide in the 79th minute. It's coming.
- Getting denied clear penalties is getting old. I like to take the "it all levels out in the end" view in general, but we're owed an awful lot of kicks from the spot at this point.
I WANT HIS BABIES— Graham MacAree (@MacAree) November 7, 2012
Go ahead and rate Chelsea's players today, and discuss the game in the comments section below: