As we enter the home-stretch of a remarkably active summer, we break down the latest stories being banded about. More after the jump:
Scarface to The Bridge?
First, let me just say that it's wonderful to be back stateside after a week in The Kingdom (not of Saud, mind you). Had a chance to take in the Norwich match, which I will do my best to discuss in detail at a later time. For now, here's what we're learned so far on this, the last day of the Summer transfer window:
- Apparently, our moves for Modric may have reached their end after it was reported by the Mirror that we've agreed a 20 million deal with Porto for wingback Alvaro Pereira. Read more on this matter, here. If it's true, then this effectively ends the careers of both Bertrand and PVA, or so the cynic in me would say. Not sure why we would need Pereira in the first place but alas, thus is what we're hearing.
- Modric, for his part, is rather resigned to staying at WHL- or so says Ivan Klasnic. During a jog around the training grounds this morning, Modric admitted that he thinks he might just have to get on with the prospect of playing out the season with Spurs. Read more on this here. Factoring in our apparent move for Pereira, it would seem the Modric deal might be hanging in the balance anyway, assuming funds are tight (although that appears to be unlikely this summer with the way Roman is making moves).
- The Sun, that paper of glorious high standards, is breaking the story that Chelsea are making a last-gasp move for Franck Ribery. They speculate that, after being priced out of the Modric race, AVB has set his sights on getting the French playmaker into the mix, and is debating whether to meet the 36 million quid valuation Bayern have stamped on him. In my eyes, I'd much rather have Ribery over Modric, especially considering we'd actually pay less for Scarface than Luka. But then again, I'd really just rather have Arjen Robben and his glass knees back. Yeah, I went there.
- Also, Yossi has confirmed via Twitter, in the wake of surrendering his #10 kit to Juan Mata over the weekend, that he will fly to London today to meet with Chelsea brass over a move to one of the six million teams he's been linked with. Latest indications were that he was headed to Turkey to ply his trade with Galatasaray. But who knows at that point. We do know that our efforts to prise Raul Meireles from Liverpool have failed thus far- as Jack pointed out last night.
- AVB unsuccessfully attempted to send new boy Lukaku off to Stoke for six months of experience, after it was ruled that a player purchased in one transfer window cannot be loaned to a different team in the same league during that space of time. It was only for a six month stretch, but it would appear that Romelu is going to be sticking around SW6 for the year to train with the first team and grab spot minutes wherever possible.
- Though it wasn't tracked on the site until now, Chelsea announced the signing of Mexican starlet Ulises Davila last week to a five year deal, and have now confirmed that the player is being loaned to Vitesse for a season of learning in the Dutch leagues. Davila is a pacy attacking midfielder that comes from the same Mexican club as Javier Hernandez.
Sidenote: things must clearly be going well in the Abramovich camp, after it was revealed two days ago that he plonked down some 90 million pounds on a new house in London's exclusive "Billionaire's Row" which also houses billionaire Lakshmi Mittal and a few other dignitaries. So yeah, what recession?
Clearly, the club are in the frame to make some major moves over the next 24 hours. We will keep you posted on everything as it happens right here. Stay tuned.