Well, no doubt some of you have heard the recent rumours abound for the managerial position at Chelsea. Surprisingly it seems that Mark Hughes, according to the bookies, has jumped to one of the favourites for the position!!! It seems that over the course of today Mark Hughes odds have jumped from 33-1 to 6-1 for the job, and I'm going to do write up of his pro's and con's and see what the general consensus is.
- You have to give Sparky credit where credits due, that wherever he has managed, his team have done pretty well. Thats got to count for something.
- Sparky seems to want to play an attractive style of football.
- He has a decent tactical nous to get the best out of all the players in the squad, and uses what he has at his disposal to his advantage. (Murphy's passing ability/ Pederson's crossing ability/ Bellamy's dangerous attacking abilities)
- He can win, his time at Man City was too short lived to really tell, however he got Robinho (at home at least) playing well, Elano was dangerous, Bellamy was scary good.
- During his City tenure he also managed to easily break down the defenses of Man Utd, Chelsea and that defensive powerhouse Arsenal! In fact in his four games against those three teams, Man City scored 13 goals.
- He has a good record as a manager against Chelsea, and by the same adage that was used in the Torres transfer, "If you can't beat them, buy them!"
- He's a former Blue (forget his days for Ol' Red Nose), it should count for something.
- One problem that always seems to arise with Hughes' teams are their poor away form.
- Defensively, his teams are pretty below par! Maybe this could be helped with a defence containing Cole, Terry, Luiz, Alex and Ivanovic as immediate starters!
- He struggles to bring through youth, rather he opts to buy immediate starters.
- He has a very hit and miss transfer policy, and I mean very hit and miss! He did sign Samba (£400,000), Santa Cruz (£3,500,000), Nelson (Free), Warnock (£1,500,000) and Kompany (£6,000,000)! HOWEVER he had some real shockers in Jo (£18m), Tal Ben Haim (£5m), Wayne Bridge (£10m), Santa Cruz (£18m) and Lescott (£24m)!
- Lack of CL experience